Hugh Macleod had a contest running way back in 2006 asking to write our own manifesto and had said that he would publish the ones he liked. I don’t think that he published this one. He did reply to me via email on December 5, 2006 saying he had a flood of email and did not think my Manifesto would make it. I am amazed how widespread this is now-a-days. Makes me want to take my ideas more seriously now.
This was originally published on a WordPress.com blog post that I once had on November 24, 2006 on euniversity.wordpress.com with the following idea:
The whole University will be online.
- You can sign up by sending in a copy of your last exam marksheet which would have made you eligible for attending university.
- You then state which job you intend to take.
- An email will then be sent to your email id within a week that will tell you which are the courses you need to take plus some courses that offered as soft-skill courses.
- You then login into your profile page. You select the courses you want to do now.
- You can take your own time through the course. At the end of which you will be asked to attend a test conducted by an industry major.
- The industry conducting the test then puts up the results. Industries look up this list and hire you based on the scores you get. Industries call you for an interview.
- The company interviewing you checks your background and if information provided to us turns out to be false, you pay us a fees even if you do or do not get a job (which is dependent on the industry conducting the interview).
What sort of course material do you get?
- audio podcasts.
- video – streaming or for download.
- lecture notes.
- You can do a specific course that you want to be good at.
- You get tested and recruited by the industry.
- It’s cheaper compared to your university education.
- The time you take to complete a course depends on you.
- You miss classroom learning.
- You need a good Internet connection and a computer.
- You get a stream of people who are genuinely interested in a particular field.
- You can gauge the level of understanding a student has before he works by looking at his online profile through reports etc.
- Your only investment will be in conducting the test and providing training ammenities for a student if the course involves training.
- Easily switch from one course to another.
- Get recruited at the end of the course.
- Select any course you like. You can even do a course while working. Your profile will be active until you choose to delete it.
- Your final skill will be highly specialized.
Content loaded on the website:
- Content will be sourced from Professors. This content will be rated by students. Professors can also receive feedback and requests, if they wish.
- Workings, explanations, demos etc. can be done through audio or video podcasts.
- All the content on the website including the user interface will be ranked by students in the course. Changes will take place accordingly.
- Students can select to attend conferences arranged by us.
- Courses will be added as soon as we find corporates/institutions involved in the field.
What I need?
- A venture capitalist.
- Techie who can load audio, video, lecture online.
- Staff to process sign-up requests from students.
- Professors who can design content – audio, video and lectures – for the course.
- Companies who are ready to back us with a promise of job and conducting interviews and training to students during and at the end of the course.
- A person to design the UI for the website.
The idea is to be implemented in India.